Translate

Monday 9 March 2015

Sunset over the River Thames at Vauxhall

Here is the first of many photos from my trip to London this weekend with my husband - we had a fantastic time and great weather. This photo was a lucky twist of fate. We ended up at Shaftesbury Ave around tea time and I wanted to get down to the river to catch the golden hour light - ideally around the Houses of Parliament. Our plan to get to Westminster before the sun set was totally foiled though - Covent Garden tube station was shut, Leicester Square was really busy, then we took a wrong turn outside Victoria station. I realised long before we reached Vauxhall Bridge that I wouldn't be getting the photos I'd hoped for, but optimistically suggested that fate might have meant for me to get a really great photo somewhere else instead. I couldn't believe my luck when we walked onto the bridge and saw this lovely sunset on the river!

I'm fascinated with cranes anyway - they're a permanent fixture (just changing location) in city centres and I think their shapes are as striking as the buildings, especially when silhouetted. Another bonus was seeing the towers of Battersea Power Station on the horizon - the first time I've ever seen them except on television.

Camera/lens settings: ISO 800, f/11, 1/60s, 22mm, hand held

No comments:

Post a Comment