Translate

Friday 8 May 2015

Night-time shot of the Thames path passing beneath Blackfriars rail bridge, London.

I took this one in London in March this year. I love the undersides of the Thames bridges, especially when they're lit up at night. This particular shot is one of my favourites because of the mixture of lines and curves from the 2 bridges (I think that's Waterloo Bridge in the background) and the wall and railings on the path.

I haven't done much night-time photography and have always had poor results whenever I've tried (usually with Auto settings on a compact camera). Some of my London attempts (such as this one) have come out ok, but they're extremely grainy as I had to use a really high ISO to pick up enough detail. I think the only thing I'm doing 'wrong' now is not using a tripod (conscious decision not to be carrying one round London!), but if anyone has any other tips for me I'd be grateful.

Update! - Thanks to my friend Leanne for tipping me off about the Noise Reduction section in Lightroom - I now have a much less grainy version (the one at the bottom - not sure you can actually tell the difference on here, though!).

Camera/lens settings: ISO 1600, f/4.5, 1/60s, 20mm, hand held.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment