Translate

Wednesday 24 September 2014

Wooded path to Janet's Foss

I took this photo in Malham, North Yorkshire, in August this year. We'd just walked part of the 'Malham Round' - up the cove, over the limestone pavement, over the hill to Goredale Scar - and were on the final leg to Janet's Foss and back along the river to Malham.

This picture shows the short, steep path down to Janet's Foss, a small waterfall at the head of a narrow, wooded valley. Even though I was keen to see the waterfall, I held back a good 10 minutes just taking pictures of this part of the path, which I found mesmerising. The colours, textures, shapes and shadows made by the contrasting foliage and stone with a dusting of sunshine made it feel like a magical fairy tale place. Then there was just a teasing glimpse of the river ahead, with the waterfall still hidden from sight.

I made no post-production changes - the extremes of light and shade are what drew me to it.

ps - the waterfall was a bit of a let-down - I much preferred the path!

No comments:

Post a Comment