Translate

Friday 30 January 2015

Spooky branches

Something a bit different today - I've been experimenting with split toning in Lightroom. I took this close-up of bare, spiky branches at Hardcastle Crags in April last year. Although I liked the shapes and textures, the colours were washed out and left the image lacking something. I wanted to complement the spikiness of the branches by giving it an ominous mood, so tried out different colours and balances for the shadows and highlights. My measure of success was when my 10-year-old looked over my shoulder and said "Ooh - that looks spooky!". Colours chosen!

(By the way, I've decided to change what I write on my blog. I've been mentioning all post-production changes, but I think that's probably getting a bit dull - I do tend to do similar changes to most images - and without the original to compare to, it's probably a bit meaningless. From now on, I'll just mention any changes of particular interest. I'm also going to start detailing the camera settings used for each shot.)

Camera/Lens settings: ISO100, f /2.8, 1/320s, 90mm, hand-held

No comments:

Post a Comment