Translate

Monday 13 October 2014

Rusting wheels in the sea at Longstone Island

I noticed these big iron wheels in the water on Longstone Island, one of the Farne Islands off the Northumberland coast, whilst we were wandering round looking at the seals. I was really struck by the lovely colours of the rusting metal alongside the green moss on the rocks. I thought it funny at the time that I was photographing rusting metal wheels whilst everyone else was still photographing the seals!

I have to admit to a big post-production 'cheat' on this one though. The sky was totally flat grey, albeit very bright, and it really let the picture down. So I created a blue sky and corresponding reflection in the water by using 2 graduated filters (one from the top, one from the bottom, both at angles) - reducing exposure and temperature in each.


No comments:

Post a Comment