Translate

Wednesday 19 November 2014

Small yacht passing Dunstanburgh Castle, Northumberland

I took this on our holiday to Seahouses in August 2013. We'd just been exploring Dunstanburgh Castle, further down the coast near Craster, and were just leaving. Just as we started walking away from the castle I saw the yacht passing out at sea. I thought there was potential for a photo - it looked so small and delicate on its own out there, contrasting with the big, strong, stone castle wall. It was actually moving quite fast so I only just managed to get my camera ready in time to get the castle wall and the yacht in the same shot.

The resulting picture wasn't great as I didn't have time to compose or expose it properly, but I got the content I needed and sorted the rest out in Lightroom. I cropped the picture to a panoramic size to frame the horizon, used a graduated filter to bring down highlights in the sky and increased overall contrast, saturation and shadows slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment