Translate

Sunday 7 December 2014

Cluster of sun-lit ferns around a tree trunk

This one is from June 2013 at Hardcastle Crags. I love ferns - you may have noticed by now! Bluebells are usually the main focus when they're in photos - in this one they're just a (slightly out of focus) backdrop with the ferns in the spotlight, literally, from the sun.

I did quite a bit of tampering in Lightroom to get the effect I wanted. I brought exposure down overall, as the ferns were quite overexposed due to the strength of the sunlight. There were 2 other areas lit up by the sun that were too distracting - I used the brush to bring exposure down on the central bluebells and a graduated filter to do the same job on a patch of grass top left. I then increased contrast to the maximum - this increased the strength of the shadows and made some of the ferns bottom right 'disappear' into the darkness, leaving only the very bright ones in the picture.



No comments:

Post a Comment